Thursday, September 01, 2016

"How was your trip?"

We've been home for a week now and I've probably been asked that question 100 times. And every time I sort of freeze up and then say, "It was great! Awesome!" There is so much more that I want to add but for some reason my brain shuts down and I'm left standing there with my mouth open and no words coming out. I suppose there are a few reasons for this - for one, I never know how in depth I should go. Some people who ask have a genuine interest and would love to hear every detail. But some are only being polite and are satisfied with a "It was great!" I have a hard time telling which is which. And then there is the fact that I know that my brain hasn't had enough time to process all that I've experienced. It's hard to take 10 days full of every emotion on the spectrum and wrap it up into coherent thoughts. But I'm going to take a shot here and try to get some sentences down.



"How was your trip?"

I had the chance to visit with friends, both old and new, who share a passion for Swaziland with me. We laughed and cried, discussed issues and problems Swaziland is facing, and talked about the amazing work that is happening there. We bonded over our love of the people of this country and how it feels like a second home. We prayed for the country that we all love so much. My trip was invigorating.






"How was your trip?"

We visited one of the ladies that has cooked at Bheveni in the past. She has been fighting cancer and when we first approached her homestead, I didn't recognize her because she seemed so fragile. She stayed strong as she chatted with us but when we were giving hugs as we left, she broke down in Julie's arms and couldn't stop sobbing. My trip was heartbreaking.





"How was your trip?"

Just shy of 100 women were able to come to the Timbali camp. We witnessed them during their worship time - dancing and singing in the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Some of us were pulled by the hand down into the dancing and we laughed and sang and worshiped and danced like nobody was watching. My trip was freeing.








"How was your trip?"

Greta was watching out the window of the van we were driving in when she noticed a group of people climbing around a garbage dump. She asked me what they were doing and I had to explain to her that it was garbage day and that those people were scrambling to get to the new trash to look for food. Her face went white and my heart hurt. My trip was difficult in ways I can't fully explain.








"How was your trip?"

We visited with 2 ladies that run a carepoint all by themselves. The other women in their area won't volunteer because they want to be paid for the work. Those 2 women work tirelessly at the carepoint and then go home to their families and work there. But they were joyful in their service and explained to us that they see the carepoint children as a gift. They say that God has trusted them with these children and that even though it can be exhausting, they will continue to be joyful in their service. They want to love each and every child they serve with the love they feel from Jesus. My trip left me awestruck.





"How was your trip?"

Swaziland is going through their worst drought in 100 years. I saw animals that were barely moving from lack of water. I heard stories of people having to walk miles and miles just to get to dirty water. The capitol city, Mbabane, has water restrictions where the water will be shut off for several days in a row. Along with the drought, the food prices are skyrocketing. When we passed out a 2.5 kg bag of rice to each woman at camp, there were cheers and tears of thankfulness. My trip put things into perspective.








"How was your trip?"

We were able to bring a few women to see their friend whom they hadn't seen in over 6 months because of the friend's undiagnosed illness. When we walked into the house, the ladies immediately piled onto the mattress with their friend and scooped up her baby. They were chatting and giggling like old friends should and the smile on the sick friend's face was glowing. My trip reminded me that true friendship crosses all cultures.







"How was your trip?"

We were able to stop in at Bheveni carepoint twice. Even though the kids that we sponsor weren't there, I recognized so many faces... and it was clear that many of those faces recognized me. It had been 2 years since I had last been there yet I could hear a few yell "Margo!" and come greet me. There were several new babies for us to snuggle and Greta was able to discover the Bheveni that she had only seen in photos. She held babies and played with kids and smiled so big I thought her heart was going to burst. My trip was beautiful and life changing.




So, friends, this is where I am so far. New revelations come each day and probably will continue for quite some time. But know that if you ask and I don't have the words, there are plenty floating around in my brain. It just takes time to be able to express it.



3 comments:

  1. Well put. What an amazing writer you are on top of everything else! Awesome, awesome, awesome... ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put. What an amazing writer you are on top of everything else! Awesome, awesome, awesome... ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ankara merkezli sanal gerçeklik oyun merkezi kurulum hizmetleri
    VR CAFE Türkiye'de hizmet ve faaliyetlerini sürdürmektedir.

    ReplyDelete