Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Left Foot

My story isn't as gripping as the movie... although I haven't seen the movie so maybe it is. Anyway, I have a broken foot right now. It started back in early June. I had pain in my left foot for over a week that I had been trying to ignore. It grew steadily worse and so I could no longer put it off... I had to go into the clinic. The doctor looked at my xray and told me I had a small stress fracture. I was verbally chastised for wearing flip flops ("They have no support!") and told to wear firm soled hiking boots or something of the like. Since it was the middle of June (hot!) and I don't really own anything like that (and was not excited to have to hunt through stores to find some) I went to the one person that I thought might be able to get me through: my mom. Everyone that knows her knows that if you need anything, and I mean anything, she will probably be able to suit your needs. She came through for me with an older air boot that I could use until my foot healed.

A couple of days after getting the boot, I was out at my parent's house with the kids. I was picking up before going home and I didn't notice a new landscaping rock in front of me and WHAM!... I had kicked the rock with my boot. White hot pain went through my foot and I almost tossed my cookies. I made it through that night hoping to get back in to see the doctor on Friday morning. Turns out, that doctor isn't in on Fridays and they had no other appointments available that day. If I wanted to be seen before the weekend, it would have to be in the ER.

I went in and had another xray and sure enough, what had been a small fracture was now quite pronounced. I was given crutches and told to go back in to the clinic on Monday to see the ortho specialist. The next few days were torture. I have found out that crutches and I are not soul mates, to say the least. I ended up falling over a few times, usually landing on my face. I may have done more damage to myself by using those blasted things than if I would have just crawled around the house.

The specialist gave me a walking cast/boot and told me to come back in 6 weeks. No more crutches! I had been wearing the boot around 24/7 just like I'd been told and things did not seem to be healing. Then, I was taking the dog out to the bathroom and he saw a leaf bounding across the lawn and it was all over... in one swoop, he lurched toward the leaf and I didn't have a good footing. He pulled me right over, in my front yard, in broad daylight. I had hit my foot going down (and bruised my ego a bit too.) I was back into the clinic shortly after and the doctor told me that there is a good possibility that I will have to have a pin put in to have this heal completely. I'm hoping for the best... that I'll go in 2 weeks from now and they'll let me go sans boot.

For now, I'm thinking of writing my own sitcom based on my life.

1 comment:

  1. Margaret!!! Get well soon... and use these days of less-than-perfect mobility to write more!